Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pretty Little Dividers


Closet dividers: not 100% necessary but too adorable to pass up. Especially when they end up being so cheap to make. 

There are several ways to make your own closet dividers and many tutorials out there. My only problem was that I have this contraption in the nursery closet: 


The whole hanging contraption is attached to the wall in numerous spots. There may be a way to remove the hanging rod, but I wasn't brave enough to attempt it. Therefore, DIY closet dividers like these or these were out of the question because there would be no way to place them around the rod. I wanted to make closet dividers like these but I couldn't find any ready-made dividers that were affordable and I didn't feel like ordering them online. So I took a quick trip to Joann's for inspiration and found these bad boys for $1 a pop:


Since these hearts were hung with twine it would be easy to just loop them around the curtain rod, avoiding any unnecessary damage/work. Once I got them home, it was a matter of removing the twine from each heart so that I could paint and Mod Podge them. 


I painted the sides of the wooden hearts with the green paint I had leftover from the DIY nursery wall letters. I chose to cover both sides of the wooden hearts with scrapbook paper. If you don't have enough scrapbook paper or would prefer to only cover one side, at this point you would paint one side of the wooden hearts as well. 


Once the paint dried, I traced each heart on the back of the scrapbook paper. 


If you are using any wooden shapes, make sure you trace each shape separately on the scrapbook paper. When I was ready to glue the scrapbook paper to the wooden letters, I realized all the wooden hearts were different sizes. It was no big deal, all I had to do was trim the paper pieces down as I glued them, but knowing this beforehand would have saved me even more time. I used Mod Podge to glue the pieces of scrapbook paper to both sides of the wooden hearts. I was able to use the leftover scrapbook paper from the nursery wall letters project and save even more money. 


Once the sides were dry, I placed the # stickers on each wooden heart for the necessary size (0-3, 3-6, 6-12, 12-18, 18 & up). At one point I ran out of the necessary numbers so I had to cut some stickers and do some rearranging. So if you run out of numbers, don't get discouraged and immediately go out and buy more - try to cut and rearrange them first. Then I put two coats of Mod Podge on both sides to make sure the scrapbook paper and stickers would not peel off. One coat probably would have sufficed but for some reason...2 coats always makes me feel better when it comes to Mod Podge (it's weird, I know). 



Easy Peasy and Oh So Cute! Once everything dried, I looped the twine back through the wooden hearts and hung the hearts in the closet. 



Total cost of the project? Just the $7 + tax I spent on the wooden hearts and the # stickers - heck ya! 

6 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I love the little hearts and your choice of paper is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these. My coworker is having a baby in Sept. and these would make the perfect gift. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Missie! And thanks for visiting the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! I made something similar (and for a different reason), but not nearly as pretty as yours. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tammy! I've actually been blown away by some of the beautiful dividers out there on the web! Some people even decorate wooden hangers, which is definitely something I'll have to try in the future.

    ReplyDelete